Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Long Handled Spoon

Have you used your long-handled-spoon lately?
It's so easy to believe that whatever we do is really so very small and ineffective in the bigger picture ... like a drop in the bucket.
Well, if everyone is putting drops in the bucket it isn't long and that bucket is filled.
I received this in an email recently and it's really stuck with me so I thought I'd share and let you chew on it awhile. And thanks to everyone who made a bid at the LWB auction!

"I am only one; but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
"

Long Handled Spoons

A holy man was having a conversation with the Lord one day and said,
'Lord, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.'

The Lord led the holy man to two doors.
He opened one of the doors and the holy man looked in.
In the middle of the room was a large round table.
In the middle of the table was a large pot of stew,
which smelled delicious and made the holy man's mouth water.
The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly.
They appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles that were strapped to their arms and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful.
But because the handle was longer than their arms,
they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.
The holy man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering.


The Lord said, 'You have seen Hell. They went to the next room and opened the door.
It was exactly the same as the first one.
There was the large round table with the large pot of stew which made the holy man's mouth water.
The people were equipped with the same long-handled spoons, but here the people were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

The holy man said, 'I don't understand.
'It is simple,' said the Lord. 'It requires but one skill.
You see, they have learned to feed each other.

The greedy think only of themselves.'

When Jesus died on the cross, he was thinking of you.

Have you used your long-handled-spoon lately?


and as an added thought ... when I received the email containing this it was titled "7%"
Interesting I thought, I didn't see anything about 7% in the email??
Then later that day I read the following while surfing online for something totally unrelated (a friend recently gave me a word for this. I'm pretty sure it was a "Godincidence.")

"143 million orphans may seem overwhelming, but if only 7% of the 2 billion Christians would care for orphans in their distress, there would effectively be no more orphans. We can each do something."

Only 7% ... wow ... doesn't seem like that large of a number does it?

No comments:

The family

The family