Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bright Spots--Elizabeth



Yesterday was one of those difficult days of parenting in our house. I had a lot of errands to run and swimming lessons for yhe boys and also wait times in between, hurry up and wait ... just not a good combination with 2 boys and a baby and it didn't help that it was seriously 96 degrees outside (not taking into account also that it was WAY HUMID! making it feel more like 106 I think they said.)

Similar to the temperature outside things escalated throughout the day with the boys pushing my buttons and not listening and picking on each other and me getting more and more frazzled ... and when I went to bed at the end of the day I felt defeated and humbled and really like a failure as a parent and a person. (It really wasn't that bad in retrospect, but at the time I was just worn out and tired.) Thankfully it was the end of the day and this morning we all got to start anew and off on a better foot of listening to each other and making clear our expectations and opportunities.

Also during the night while I slept and recharged my energy and asked God for some help doing a better job tomorrow, I received a wonderful email from half way around the world from New Day telling me that our care package had arrived! You may remember this post about the P*ttery B*rn K*ds sheets that were SO cute and on super sale. A friend from church chipped in with me and we were able to send 13 adorable crib sheets to New Day. Thanks Angie and Family! Also, you may remember this post about Elizabeth. In the package I included the apron that I made for her and a doll that I really wanted her to have too. (And a matching apron for the doll.)

Elizabeth is an adorable 8 year old girl that came to New Day this Spring and is recovering from heart surgery. She has stolen my heart, and I think about everyone else's who reads about her as well. I thought I'd share the photos of her opening her gifts so you all can enjoy them too. It was truly a blessing for me to see her beautiful smile and a reminder to me that God sees me in my low points and knows just when I need encouragement to keep me going and reassurance that He walks with me always, leading me through the good and strengthening me through the bad.






4 comments:

Michele said...

Oh my goodness, this post made me cry. What a sweet, sweet girl. And what a blessing you are! Thank you for sharing!

TanyaLea said...

I love that you did this for sweet Elizabeth! I know it is harder for the older kids, so whenever I see someone reaching out to make them feel special, it just warms my heart! The photos are precious!! God will surely bless you for your sincere and giving heart! <><

Hugs,
Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

A friendly remember: Time to update your blog :) I wanna hear all about your rainy vacation up north ;)

Tara Anderson said...

Such precious pictures!! Thank you for sharing them! The smile on Elizabeth's face is so beautiful!!!

The family

The family