Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It's the Journey ... part 1



I'm back from a family vacation. I guess besides the laundry, TONS of mowing and watering of the 100+ trees that Jeff planted earlier this Spring things have not returned to normal yet. Also, my oldest (if you can consider 6 old) decided at the last minute to participate in a week long hockey camp and I've decided to hang around in town for him instead of driving 20 miles home and then 20 miles back later in the day. And honestly I really am not sure how to follow up the last post. It's gotta be one of my favorites. I see Elizabeth's face and her smile and I'm not sure what could top that ... I heard that she liked the apron so much that she wanted to wear it all day. That is sweet, as in Sa-weet, to know she liked it so much.

But, I have received a few requests wondering where I've gone. Have I fallen off the face of the Earth or what. Wow, it's great to feel missed. Well ... we went once again up North to visit family and to experience what is ever to be known as our family's vacation spot. (We did attempt a family vacation apart from the usual family visit trip and went to Colorado in 2007 to go skiing at Copper Mountain ... and our truck and ALL our belongings were stolen from the hotel parking lot during our first night of travel. So, we have not diverged from the visit-the-relatives-family-trip again.)

We did have some great fun as a family during this trip however and I will post some photos of my sweet, precious three (four including Jeff.) The weather in Northern MN did not cooperate as we left the 95+ degree heat of Iowa and traveled into 50 degree weather and rain ... which yes, is cooler, but the forecast had said 70's/low 80's so we were a little disappointed (luckily for some reason while sweating in the heat I still packed jeans and long sleeve shirts ... at least for the boys.) It has become very clear to me now after seeing the photos that I need to update my wardrobe. I'm somewhere between a miser and overly sentimental when it comes to buying clothing and getting rid of old things. I think photos of myself helps clarify things for me though.

I'm thinking I might milk this trip a little and will make this into a little journey for anyone following. Today I'll focus on day 1 ... the boys were so excited after traveling through the night and arriving at their Grandma's house that they couldn't wait to hit the beach even though it was SO COLD out! and the wind was crazy--it looks like an ocean with waves not a peaceful lake. Too funny. It was good they enjoyed the lake when they could too, because after that afternoon it rained until the day we left when the sun came out and it finally warmed up. However, one nice thing that the poor weather provided was the opportunity for us to travel over to enjoy the city of Duluth where we went hiking at Gooseberry Falls, walking on the pier viewing Lake Superior, AND to an awesome waterpark.

The kids were fearless at the waterfall climbing all over the slippery rocks (I think I gained a bazillion gray hairs trying to keep one "be careful!" warning ahead of them. But once we got to the water park they were much more reserved and cautious of everything! Jeff thought this was so ironic and funny ...
Yes, the boys are blessed to have a carefree and easygoing dad ... 'cuz I am kinda the polar opposite! Wonderful how God balances us out.

Gooseberry Falls--beautiful scenery


But let's get closer to it and really experience it...


And this is what was on the other side of the drop-off ...


And the view from below ...


I like up close shots on safe dry land so much better!

3 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

Had to be the first to post a comment since I did request a vacation breakdown after all! Looks like a beautiful location to take a hike. Glad you ended up having some fun despite the poor weather! Good to have you safe and sound at home too :)

Jacob and Carrie said...

We went there, right before we came to China! Jacob was working in MSP before we moved here, and so for our anniversary one weekend, we drove up the north shore. Stayed in Duluth, but drove all the way up to a little town -- forget the name... but the whole drive was beautiful! I wouldn't mind having family who lives up there! :) But, the winters must be killer.

TanyaLea said...

I LOVE the Duluth area and Gooseberry Falls... it was like looking at our own photo albums, only we were replaced by different people!! :) It's a beautiful area and you would LOVE it in the fall!! Talk about colorful, untamed beauty!

How long of a drive is it from your part of Iowa? We live just NW of MSP so it's not too bad for us! It's crazy how much different the weather can be up there, though. Year round it is different...mostly due to the lake affect coming off of Lk Superior. A place worth visiting, especially if you want to get away from it all and just refresh!! ...minus the in-law conflicts, of course! ;o)

The family

The family