Sunday, July 26, 2009

Keepin' Busy



I sent our camera on a great journey to China with Jeff this week... so I'm missing out on so many great photo opportunities here at home! I'm cherishing them in my mind's eye and hope to keep them as long as I can. I sure hope Jeff is taking LOTS of photos!

In lieu of new photos I'm grabbing some from the archives. Today we have the boys in a tree in the park. (Easton has his foot stuck in between the cracks of the branches and he has a pained look on his face ... but rest assured, he was okay!)

We have certainly kept busy during these first days that Jeff has been in China. The boys and I have gone on a million errands, to a splash pad, a picnic, a family reunion, a Norwegian Festival, I taught Brayden's Sunday School class as a sub and we had a campfire and s'mores tonight. (whew!) And the folks at church said to make sure to just keep things simple. Well ... I guess I'm opting for keeping things entertaining. (HA!)

I also found out that my brother-in-law who has been serving in Afghanistan for 9 months of active duty will be home this coming week! We hope to meet him at the airport on Thursday night. He was supposed to be again in Iraq for his 3rd tour of duty ... but was switched to Afghanistan upon arrival at Christmas. It will be such a blessing to have him home again--especially for my sister and their 3 children!

Jeff is doing well in China. Our phone calls are brief and mostly filled with the kids wanting to talk on the phone which leads to not alot of real conversation but he has had a few stories. He said the Chinese are SO friendly and polite! The street vendors are very persistent though and will literally follow you all over the city if you show even the least bit of interest in what they are selling. (haha!) He did a bit of site-seeing on one day by himself which would have been a bit intimidating I think, but he's adventurous. He did go out again today with a larger group too and saw much more and probably had more fun (he's a people person.)

The first evening when he ventured out on his own and went walking to find something for supper he was followed by a small child who was begging ... oh my ... he did not have anything to give her at the time. Well ... she was waiting for him when he left the restaurant and he fortunately was able to give her something having thought ahead to be prepared. It's hard not to wonder about her story and if she has somewhere to call home, if someone cares for her or if she's on her own. I've never met her, never seen her, ... and yet she sticks in my heart.

2 comments:

TanyaLea said...

Wow, how hard that must've been for your husband...but wonderful that he was thinking ahead and was able to bless her in whatever way he could. I think God brings us across situations like this for a reason. So that we can have compassion as He would, and to reflect on how blessed we are...and to bring light to a world that is filled with hurt and need, AND so that we can be in prayer for them. Just think of all that God can do through your prayers for this child you have never seen or met...yet he purposed for your husband's paths to cross with hers! This really tugged at my heart strings and I will be praying for her, too!!
<><
Blessings,
~Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

Hey Valerie!

Hope Sunday School went well. Sorry I wasn't there to help you. I was trying to have a baby, but to no avail! Not too much longer til' Jeff is home...hang in there! We're praying for you and the boys, and for safe travels for Jeff.

Love,
Angie

The family

The family