Monday, August 10, 2009

Broken By God

Can God break your heart? And when He does what will you do? Out of your brokeness I hope you choose to act in some way. Some way that is your very own that makes a difference for you ... and for someone you probably don't even know.

The following is a post from a fellow blogger's site and I was so moved by its message I can't seem to shake it out of my mind. I wanted to share it and didn't want to make it difficult for anyone that didn't want to take the time by clicking over to her site, so I've reprinted it by permission here.

Heart for Orphans
From http://karleighmei.blogspot.com/, August 8, 2009

"Some days my heart aches for the orphans of this world and I feel so helpless. One of the things that I feel the most helpless about is the fact that so many people are completely unaware of them.

Today I was at a church function and the speaker was telling her testimony. She talked about how as a child she wanted a doll with a teardrop on her cheek called "Little Miss Nobody Loves Me". She went on about how she wanted to care for this little doll, that she wanted to show her love. She also talked about going to auctions/garage sales and buying boxes of unwanted dolls with the intention that she would put them back together. As she was describing these dolls, my heart just broke, because what she was unaware of, was she was describing almost to a "T" the abandoned children of China with special needs. She talked of some dolls missing limbs, eyes, and of others with badly cut haircuts. Of how she would take them and soak them in the bath because they were so dirty and poorly taken care of.

How many of us long to do this? How many of us know that there are children all over the world, without anyone to love them? Just like these dolls, left with missing limbs, eyes, and poorly cut hair. I think that most of us are completely unaware and it saddens my heart. Who will be their voice?

I have felt such a burden to be their voice. Praying that the Lord will direct me in His ways."

_____________

This post really hit home to me for so many reasons. I guess I too have always had a very soft heart for the lonely and abandoned--even as a child when it was stuffed animals or dolls or discovered discarded "treasures" found amongst the ordinary. (Okay, truth be told I bought a little doll with dirty toes last Spring and brought it home and cleaned her up a bit and she's good as new, so I guess it wasn't just when I was a kid.) ... It also reminded me of a conversation I had this Spring with a family member while I was sharing what I had learned recently about the orphan plight and how I wanted to become involved and do something. She wondered aloud, "How can you learn about the children of this world that are homeless and parentless. Doesn't it just break your heart? And do you really trust what you are reading?" Well, yes, it does break my heart. It makes it ache and so very sad and exposes my selfishness that I hate to admit is there. It also makes me a better parent to the blessings that God has already entrusted to me.

She sadly was happier just living an oblivious life ... and yes that is easier ... but I hope that the knowledge that touched her heart that day ebbs at her and breaks down that wall of comfortableness.

I don't know what the story of our family will be concerning the orphans of the world but I will pray for them and I will advocate for them and we will do things day by day. I hope you will to.

How can you be a voice for those who don't have one? Here are a few suggestions:

• Pray. (This is something that is FREE and is FREEING and the most powerful.)
• Sponsor a child.
• Sponsor a formula project.
• Sponsor a foster home
• Adopt. (if it is God's will for your family)
• But most importantly Pray. "HE is might to Save."

"... Once our eyes are opened,
we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act ..." -- ~Proverbs 24:12

3 comments:

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the encouragement you left!

I saw the original posting- thanks for giving it more exposure. It is an important and provoking message. It was almost 15 months ago that my eyes were opened to plight of the orphans and specifically to SN children in China. While I wait for His provisioning so we can begin the adoption process I fell we have been called to, I try my best to advocate for these kids and sponsor a child and donate extra when I can. Sometimes it feels like so little when the issue is so huge. Thanks for the reminder to be their voice! I don't want my eyes to ever be closed and hope that I am able to be used to open the eyes of others as well.
Blessings,
Kelly

Tara Anderson said...

You're right--the truth is that it's much more comfortable to go around our everyday lives in wealthy America and forget that there are children (even in our own communities!) that are broken and in need of a family. I pray that God opens the eyes of His children and we will all see that we have all a part...whether it is adopting, sponsoring or praying...to play in the lives of the orphaned children of the world. Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen the original!

TanyaLea said...

I love this post, and I read the original at Jenn's sight, too. Like you, it touched me so deeply and is one of the best analogies I have read anytime recently. I, too, desire to be a vessel that God works through on behalf of the orphans, even beyond our adoption. I notice we both have the same scripture at the top of our sidebar on our blogs, and you reposted it in this post...but it's SO true, once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do! We need to continue planting seed and pray that God sends others along to water them so that the grow into something meaningful that will benefit those in need. Living in a place of 'comfort' ones whole life is really a selfish and boring place to be. I want my life to be SO much more for Him!! Thanks for re-posting this...it's truly an eye opening story!!

Love and Hugs,
Tanya

The family

The family