Friday, August 7, 2009

Sharpened Arrows in Our Quiver

I find the blog world A-mazing. I've really only been surfing through it since late February and yet I have "met" some of the most amazing people ... that are just normal people ... doing extraordinary things it seems. I know some people find it weird to read about people you don't even know ... but that's the thing, you do get to know them ... and share with them and encourage them AND be encouraged by them. Sometimes at the most perfect and most amazing timing that God would only know. And sometimes it seems the impossible dreams we all hold deep in our hearts are a little more possible when we reach outside our front doorstep and the familiar and ordinary and consider the "what ifs" ... and somehow meeting people "just like yourself" with kids and dirty dishes and fears and dreams, not so unlike your own, and yet they live in another city or state or half way around the world and it brings God closer and more real to the little things that are the big things in our lives.

Today I logged onto a site via another site I enjoy and was delighted to find this person who was writing about her children and the role she plays in their life. As the wife of an avid bow hunter that used the verse she references each time our sons were born this analogy really struck a cord in me ... but in such a new way I had to share it.

"I am a pillar to uphold and sustain my husband as he pours into the nations. I model God's love in my family. Every hug and game of hide and seek are my tools as a warrior princess. I will reach the nations through my arrows, the children God has given me. As I disciple and sharpen them, I will shoot them into the world to impact their generation for Christ." (July 13th entry)

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them."--Psalm 127:3-5


Wow. Doesn't that mental picture just blow you away?! Our children as arrows that GOD has given US to sharpen to impact generations FOR CHRIST. Wow. That really puts the responsibility on me as a teacher and parent not to fall short! I know that when my children really ponder God's word in their hearts or do something that is a reflection of what God most desires from them (and us) it makes my heart so happy it feels that it could nearly burst! A few of those times come to mind ... like when Brayden shared with his ENTIRE preschool class the TRUE meaning of Easter from Maundy Thursday to the Cross to the Resurrection--and this was in a public school! The teacher, bless her heart, being a believer did not stop him but just let him continue with a huge smile on her face! Or when Easton mentioned this weekend why a dear friend was allowed to die (death really scares him right now and I was afraid how this funeral would impact him.) After our 8 hour car ride home from MN, a little voice from the back of the van declared in thoughtful tone, "I know why Roxane died!"-- we had NOT been talking about this at all and yet he had been pondering it on his own without us being any the wiser. He continued, "Because she was ready!"

I could feel the tears in my eyes well up. No, he doesn't fully understand even all that he said ... and yet the honesty and the truth in his child-like simplistic answer and understanding said it all more perfectly than any long-winded discussion I could have made. A-mazing. Simply A-mazing.

3 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I have also fallen in love with our little blog community. What an amazing group of everyday, normal women that God has brought together in this way! I was also highly encouraged by the "quiver" post that you mentioned. It is an excellent reminder of how important it is "just being a Mom". Many Blessings to you!

TanyaLea said...

I'm really glad you posted about this, as I think you spoke what so many of us feel. It really is a blessing and a gift that we have in our bloggy friends... I believe it's an avenue the Lord has used to join us together with other like-minded Christian women and moms...to love, support and pray together and for one another. Truly a gift! I know that many might not understand, yet I do not feel I owe any of them an explanation. These friendships are real in every sense of the word. Even though they might not be tangible (in a person-to-person, physical sense) for the time being, the communication and support amongst us is a beautiful thing! And isn't it great when you visit a blog and leave a comment, and see your familiar fellow 'bloggy' friends on there, too!?! It truly is a wonderful community!! :)

Blessings and Hugs! <><
~Tanya

Sarah Dawn said...

Sweet one,

I am blessed that the call on my life touched your heart today. I am new to this blog adventure, as God asked me to step out of the boat a few months ago. I simply type what God is doing in my life.

To be honest, it's a bit scary to have total strangers catch a glimpse of my heart, but if God is using it to encourage other moms, then I'll keep posting.

Delighted to meet you.
Sarah Dawn

The family

The family