Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The gift

One of the unforeseen hassles with upgrading my computer (this is a reoccurring theme sorry!) is that I've pinched a nerve somewhere between the elbow and shoulder of my right arm. Ya. Not fun. I am right handed--like SUPER RIGHT handed. Everything I do is with that arm I now notice! Drawing, painting, reaching, writing, typing, the list is endless. It turns out the perfect spot for our computer at the desk between the kitchen and living room does allow me to be with our kids while they play and for me to get some work done but it is far from ergonomic. And until now I didn't pay much attention to the fact that there is often times dangerously no wrist or arm support if there is any clutter on the desk. (And unfortunately there is clutter.) So, the posts and emails I've made in the last week and a half have been made through a lot of pain and left handed work. I've actually moved my mouse to the left side for now to just force myself to let my arm heal. I can get through most of the day without shooting pain and numbness though so that is a blessing knowing that it's healing. And quite honestly, although challenging, it is kinda neat in a bizarre way to force my brain to use the other side of things! (It's not so great on the creative side though ... weird how something like that can affect HOW you think ...)

But last week while I was on sabbatical from the blog I was blessed with hearing a beautiful story that I can't get out of my head. It's funny how things you may have heard before can strike a new chord in you in relation to new passions and points of view in your life. I happened to be watching Tim the Toolman Taylor (which I never ever watch, so it was one of those God-incidences I think that it happened to be on.) And the guy over the fence shared this story with Tim and it is a nugget I hope to keep in my heart and remember to help me when I'm not sure why I'm on the road that God has put me on. Or when I'm impatient and just wanna get to the good stuff! I hope as you read it that you are blessed by it as well.

Here goes:
There was once a little boy in Africa that wanted so much to bring his teacher a gift. But he had no money. So he walked 2 days to the coast to get a handful of sand. And then he walked 2 days back home. When he presented his gift to his teacher the teacher was overjoyed and amazed by it. "The walk was so far," he said! And the little boy replied, "The journey is part of the gift."

Talk about a good student!
I hope to remember that in God's perfect timing we will discover certain gifts in our lives ... but also the journey itself is a part of it and that I shouldn't be in such a hurry to get to the GIFT but also enjoy the things along the way as He grows me and loves on me as His child.

6 comments:

TanyaLea said...

Oh Valerie~ You KNOW how much I needed this post. Who knew that a little "nugget of Wilson wisdom" would have such an impact on us, huh!?!...God knew. He is good and He is faithful, and I know the 'wait' is part of the refining journey. It's just that 'some days' it is not the easiest pill to swallow. But I still fully trust in His perfect timing and know that once she is in my arms, this 'wait' will all fade away into the distance. I know the same is for you, too. You have made such an impact on me in many ways yourself, and I just want you to know how much I appreciate your most sincere friendship. You are a gift!

Praying that your arm heals quickly and you are feeling better soon...while at the same time, building up that 'left' side that typically gets left behind! ;o)

Have a blessed day and thanks again for everything! Your comment struck the deepest part of my heart and brought tears to my eyes... grateful tears.

Hugs,
Tanya

Fuel said...

I've heard a similar story to this and loved it too! Thanks so much for reminding me of this Valerie! It's so true...we tend to get impatient and greedy and want to fast forward to the good part, and in turn, miss out on all the blessings of the journey and the trials & challenges that can make us a stronger servant for God's glory. I will definitely keep this in mind today, and remember to cherish every breath, every moment no matter how challenging, and thank God for it all! You are a blessing!

Fuel said...

Oh, and I forgot to tell you I'm sorry about your arm. I guess rebooting your computer can be quite dangerous after all :) I will be praying for your arm to heal!

Fuel said...

Goodness, lol, I think I'm going to fill your post with comments just from me. But I just noticed that I'm signed in under the youth ministry page {fuel.} You're probably wondering, who in the world is leaving all these comments. It's me, Angie. Sleep deprived Angie to be exact. I forgot to sign out when I was making some changes to the new page for Jason and sign in under our blog. Oops.

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Valerie-

Thank you for sharing this! It spoke tyo me too on a couple of different levels.

I know how lefty stuff can be so challenging for us right handed and rigt brained types! I pray that you have total healing quickly!

Blessings,
Kelly

Michele said...

Oh Valerie! Were you talking to me? Because I feel like you were talking specifically to ME! I really needed to read this today. You are so right!

I am sorry about your arm. I can't imagine how difficult it is. I wil pray for healing for you!

The family

The family