Thursday, September 24, 2009

How big is God?


So today Easton SO very much cracked me up ... oh my goodness. If he ever grows out of being four I will be so sad. He is just so true and pure. I love him! On the way home from Preschool I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him with his right hand in the air, his eyes closed and his head bopping in time with the music and singing some lyrics (which were absolutely hilarious as he had about every third word or so) and I asked, "Uh, Easton what are you doing?"--"I'm singing to God Mom" ("obviously Mom, come on" was what he was thinking.) "Easton, where did you see it done like that?" I asked ... "Church"
It was SO precious.
Coming from a long line of devout midwestern Lutheran and Presbyterians, I'm not sure if my arms are able to be unpinned from my sides in order to worship so freely ... but it was SO cool to see him doing it with free abandon and loving every minute of it. I could literally feel his joy exploding from him! It was AWESOME! and inspiring ... maybe I'll try it on Sunday ...
I pray he will stay so on track, so trusting, so true to the way we ALL should be.

And while I'm on the topic of Easton. Every morning he loves to go through the same routine of "How big is God mom?"--
"Is He bigger than ... the toaster?"
--yes
"Is He bigger than ... the ocean?
--yes
"Is He bigger than ... a frog?
--yes
"Is He bigger than ... the whole world?
--yes
"Is He bigger than ... China?
--yes
"Is He bigger than ... (this goes on for a very long time but I will allow you to use your imagination)

Anyway, the other day, it was early, I had stayed up way too late the night before and I was in one of those moods where I knew I didn't have a big reserve of patience right off the bat in the morning ... and he said, "Mooooommm?"
"Oh no," I thought, "I know what's coming" ... and sure enough he started in with, "how big is God mom?"
I patiently played along while unloading the dishwasher, kinda letting my mind wander as I answered on auto-pilot thinking of all I had to do that day and also thinking to myself "Man, what's he going to name next? hmmm, I wonder when he will understand that God is bigger than everything he names?" So after a good 3-4 minutes of naming things and in an effort to conclude the day's quiz I decided to sum it up for him, "Honey, God is bigger than everything ... anything you name, God is bigger than. He made everything, He is in charge of everything. He knows everything. He is everywhere all the time. God is the biggest thing you can ever, ever, ever imagine!"
And it suddenly struck me, standing there with the dishtowel in my hand ... it wasn't him who wasn't "getting" it ...
It almost seemed like he wasn't asking me so much as telling me something I so much needed to be reminded of. Oh to have the faith of a child. He gets "it" so much deeper than I do and sometimes I am so certain that God uses these blessed children of ours to teach us too.

6 comments:

TanyaLea said...

I think you are absolutely right...God does often use our children to teach and remind US of the important things in life! I've found myself in those very moments, many a time!! :)

And don't you just LOVE age four?! It was my very, very FAVORITE with both my kids! There's just something about that age that was so fun and just cracked me up. It was like, we were through the tough "3's" (never had terrible 2's...the 3's were much harder here!) and they understood the rules and what happened if they broke the rules, and they were at an age of coming into their own witt and sense of humor, and FILLED with questions about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING imaginable! It was just a fun and delightful age. Though all stages are great fun...age four wins hands down with both Breanna and Dawson!! :)

Have a blessed weekend! <><
~Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

This made me cry...guess a lot does lately. But just thinking of the innocent faith you described a four-year-old having made my heart happy.

I've been thinking about this very topic a lot lately...the heart of a child who simply loves God. And I pray that we as moms can learn how to best nurture that love and exuberance for God so that it somehow is able to stay so innocent and pure as they grow.

Thanks for sharing and making me smile. Easton is such a sweetie!

The Sanders Family said...

Oh, one more thing. I just read Tanya's comment and just have to say I SO AGREE. I could write an essay about how four is the best age of childhood, for all the reasons she explained. Perfectly said!

Carrie said...

I've loved your last two posts... both of them have given me much food for thought. I think it is interesting how God uses little ones to teach us much!

Shawna&Co. said...

Isn't it amazing all that God teaches us through our children? I am always taken aback a little when I hear His message through a conversation between me and the girls.
I can just picture Easton praising God with his hands up in the air! How precious is he?

Tara Anderson said...

God has used my children SO much to teach me about Him and draw me closer to Him! It's no wonder Scripture reminds us that we need to have a child-like faith...it just seems so natural for them to believe that NOTHING is impossible for God! They are so spontaneous in their worship of Him! Amen!!!

And four is such a fun age! Chloe is "there" and Eva is starting to get "there" and they sure do keep me entertained! I love this stage where they're starting to come into their own...and I'm so thankful I get to be home with them to enjoy every bit of it!!!

The family

The family