Saturday, October 3, 2009

Camouflage and pine needles

*Disclaimer--If you're not a hunter or not someone who lives with a hunter, this is probably going to turn you away from the sport forever. My apologies in advance.

There are a couple of things that are not so pleasant about my husband's passion for hunting ... especially when I consider that since we have THREE boys this will undoubtedly triple in size in the near future! Surprisingly it's not the early alarm clocks getting him out of bed on frosty mornings to go sit in a cold tree stand (I usually sleep through that), or the occasional poison ivy that he brings home on his clothes (that gets on me who has not been out in the forest), or even the long hunting trips far away (leaving me home with kids who never fail to get sick while he's gone.) No, what I really don't like about hunting is ... the smell.

No, I'm not talking about the earthy or leafy smells of autumn or the woods ... or even the attempt that he has to have NO smell (which is hard in our fabric softener, candle ladened aroma-ed homes.) No, I'm talking about the smell of pure hunting. Something so ... well ... purely man. And do I dare even type it? Okay ... I'm going to ... I cannot stand the smell of elk urine or doe pee.
No ... I am NOT kidding you. Some hunters (including my husband) take hunting very seriously and they wash their clothes in special laundry detergent to get rid of all smells ... and then apply the aforementioned smells to attract deer, elk, moose or whatever game happens to be their target. And it is (as you can imagine) rather stinky.

Now I don't mind if they do that. Whatever works ... as long as I don't have to put it on ... and that he showers when he gets back ... and as long as it stays far away from me! But unfortunately the "FAR AWAY" part hasn't been FAR AWAY enough in my book. In fact my nice laundry room has on more than one occasion been made into such an odor-rific place that I am simply amazed at the power of a breezy open window and what some good ol' fashioned pinesol can do! I guess there is a reason why his nose smeller is just not as good as mine ... because I just couldn't do it. NO way.

I was so over-joyed today when I came down to the basement to find my husband putting away his elk hunting clothes now that his big trip was over (and also getting out his deer hunting clothes now that archery deer season is open--because you just can't have enough camouflage ... and unfortunately I happen to like camouflage, so I can't really complain too much here,) anywho ... he was packing away his gear into sealed, smell-proof plastic totes and he threw in not an "Elk scented wafer" like I would normally expect ... but a PINE NEEDLE scented one! I couldn't believe my nose! "Honey," I said, "this is SO terrific! I don't mind this smell at all--in fact it's a really great candle scent! Our whole house can smell like pines if you'd like!" Which he was all for too.

Ahhhh--We can all live in harmony now in our house free from the smells of hunting thanks to the WONDERFUL pine needle scented pins that my husband got to put in the plastic totes with his hunting clothes! (Unfortunately, I'm sure when they come out of their totes next fall there will be the added "aroma" once again.)

3 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

Ewwww! I don't know much about hunting. Well, actually, I don't know anything about hunting. But I really had NO IDEA that hunters actually put animal urine on their clothes! Talk about gross! I don't blame you for not liking animal urine as the deodorizer of choice for your house, lol. But it's so nice that you support Jeff's love for hunting even though you might not completely understand it! You're such a good wife, to deal with urine scented clothing in your laundry room so that hubby can be happy :)

Football & Fried Rice said...

Funny (; I grew around around these yonder parts, so I hear you!!

TanyaLea said...

This post cracks me up!! Sadly, I know ALL TOO WELL exactly what this is that you speak of! Yes, we have the hunting men (including my hubby!) in our family, too...so NONE of this was a surprise to me. Except for the pine scent! Nice!! :)

Happy Hunting Season! LOL!!!!!!!

The family

The family