Monday, October 26, 2009

A day in the life of a muffin mom

Yesterday (well, actually that is now a couple of days ago as this post has been set aside in order to do 101 other half done projects before being officially finished-ha!) I dove in and decided it was THE day to break open that other can of paint that I had bought a month ago and finally paint the entrance hallway. I was able to get part of it done in the morning when Nolan laid down for his morning nap ... and then today was able to do the larger wall and the second coat during everyone's afternoon nap. It was a bit of a race as nap time is at 2pm (although don't tell the kids that it was actually 1:45) and I had to finish, clean up, make supper in order take WITH us to the hockey arena while remembering to also grab the hockey bag and stick AND to stop at the school and pick up Brayden all by 3:20.

(whew!) Ya. busy.
But I did it ... of course the laundry was half done on the floor and the paint stuff still cluttered the mudroom and the counter in the kitchen was piled with dishes from lunch that we rushed through and the supper that I quickly had whipped together. When the family returned from hockey practice (and Open House at the School which was last night too because it just was not a busy enough night,) Jeff happened (unwisely) to mention that perhaps I could find time to put away the 30+ cans of pop that were still on the counter from the weekend's shin-dig at the airport. Nevermind that I had lugged the cooler full of 30+ cans of pop and melted ice into the kitchen, emptied it and dried all the cans and put the cooler away. He then added that if he were to start a project like painting he would block off time JUST FOR THAT ACTIVITY until it was finished and then move on.
He has obviously not walked in the shoes of a mom.

And for that I am going to post this gem that I found last week. It is a keeper. (As is my husband ... he just doesn't realize I'd love to concentrate on one thing at a time too ... but that just isn't an option now is it?)

If You Give a Mom a Muffin
by Kathy Fictorie

If you give a mom a muffin,
She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She'll pour herself some.
Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.
She'll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she'll find dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan for supper.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook ("101 Things To Do With a Pound of Hamburger").
The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow.
She will look for her checkbook.
The check book is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two-year-old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two year old's diaper.
While she is changing the diaper, the phone will ring.
Her five-year-old will answer and hang up.
She'll remember she wants to phone a friend for coffee.
Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
And chances are...
If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

7 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I love that poem! I'm always hopping from one "project" to another and Andrew just doesn't get it! It's amazing how quickly we can be distracted by those little things! LOL!

Michele said...

Oh. Oh how I live that poem. That was awesome. I may borrow it to pass along.

Valerie and Jeff said...

Michele,
Please pass it along! I know so many moms would chuckle and be uplifted by it. I was!
HA!

TanyaLea said...

That's a GREAT poem...and SO true! Isn't it crazy how our lives branch off into little tangents like that!? One thing nearly ALWAYS leads to another. It's so hard to stay on track when you become a mom... everything changes... but it's all good!! :)

Hugs,
Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this poem! I love the original books, but had never heard this mom version. How true!! And tell Jeff that you're not the only one that an never start and finish a job all at once. We have about a billion started-but-not-finished house projects over at the Sanders dwelling :) Imagine that *smile*

The Sanders Family said...

Ok...obviously I didn't proofread my original comment. So let me translate: 'And tell Jeff that you're not the only one who never has time to start and finish a job all at once.'
There, that should make more sense! Geez!

Shawna&Co. said...

That poem is AWESOME! And only because it is so true! I may have to post it on my blog too :)
On a seperate note.. What was Jeff thinking telling you that? MEN! :)

The family

The family