Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dream With Me

“For YOU created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful I know that full well.” Psalm 139: 13-14

No ... not about being a buff beach runner. But about the "what if's."
Yesterday I could not get out of my mind an email that made me really stop and be extremely saddened (I'm not going to go into all of that.) However, I ended up finding this article about incredible advances in prosthetics. How incredible to think of the world that suddenly opens for those who benefit from the mobility that these devices provide! And my mind can't help but to think about and pray for a limitless future and potential for a certain little boy ... for whom I am packing a Christmas present right now. I am praying that God is preparing his forever family at this very moment ... and that they will not see him so much with a disability in what he doesn't have but instead sees him with the potential and the super-ability in all that he does have. Dream Big little man!

Watch the embedded clip below. It is an amazing talk that truly opens the mind to possibilities concerning prosthetics that I had not considered before. (Pause the music on the sidebar first.)
TED talk by Aimee Mullins: "How my legs give me super-powers."
See embedded link below. It is very inspiring! (there is one part that you may want to censor young eyes ... she is a cheetah in a movie and is not fully clad enough for most audiences, but it is a brief moment and the overall message is good.

(PS: it's my 100th post--what a special way to celebrate)


Depending on your internet connection you may want to view the talk at the following link so it flows better:
http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_prosthetic_aesthetics.html
OR
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/482
Athlete, actor and activist Aimee Mullins talks about her prosthetic legs (she was born without fibula bones and had her lower legs amputated at 1 year with the outlook of never being able to walk.) Well, she was walking on prosthetic legs at 2 years old and has gone quite far -- she's got a dozen amazing pairs -- and the superpowers they grant her: speed, beauty, an extra 6 inches of height ... Quite simply, she redefines what the body can be.
(A record-breaker at the Paralympic Games in 1996, Aimee Mullins has built a career as a model, actor and activist for women, sports and the next generation of prosthetics.)




An interview:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427286.400-aimee-mullins-two-legs-good-24-legs-better.html

3 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

What an inspiration!!! I had NO idea that we've come so far with prosthetics! I'm sorry you had to struggle with the pain that email brought you, but I'm glad you were able to do your research and find this. I know that "certain little boy" isn't as special to me as he is to you...but I still think he's pretty special. :) Having seen this video, I can't help but share with you in the dreams you're having for his future. It's so nice to know that GOD is writing His story...all of their stories.

TanyaLea said...

Pretty darn amazing!! Wow, the world of possibilities that has opened up through prosthetics!

I pray that a 'certain little boy' has a future as bright and full of possibilities that Aimee found in her life!

love and hugs,
~ Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

Isn't it amazing that what we see as a disability, the beholder is able to see as an ability. Just as God made each of us in His own imagine, we are still all amazingly different in our abilities and gifts. How neat that this woman is able to see the special talents she can have apart from others, and not see her legs as a flaw, but instead as a strength! Thanks for sharing this awesome story!

Sorry you had a sad day yesterday. I hope today is looking up for you! The Lord has a special plan in store for you Valerie, I just know it!!!

Angie :)

The family

The family