Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Tinsel Spider


Meet Mr. Tinsel Spider.
He has hung on our tree for over 35 years. First at my home with my parents and brother and sister and now in our home where I am able to share his story with my three boys. I'm not sure if I made him when I was 3 or 4 and the actual story of how the spider spun the first tinsel for the baby Jesus is a little patchy. (I did a search on it and there are several versions out there. I prefer the one where the Tinsel Spider spun a beautiful web in the stable for the Baby Jesus. In the morning when the sun rose God had added some dew to make it sparkle.)

But I'm just glad he's still here and in "foam spider years" I have to guess he's quite ancient. His legacy began one year in Sunday School when our class (the youngest of the young in our very small church) made these styrofoam ball and pipe cleaner spiders. I loved mine with the googley eyes and the crazy legs oh so much. I'm going to venture a guess to say that many folks have a special ornament that makes their tree extra special every year. I'd love to hear about them.

4 comments:

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Valerie-
First, thank you so much for you post on my blog this morning. I cherish your words and your friendship.
Second- how darn cool is your spider!! Have your boys made their own version? I have never heard that story. I may have to make them with my girls. I love handcrafted ornaments. I have a few I made as a kid, but as for my special ornament...
I'm a cat lover. I had almost 10 stuffed animal cats, all white with blue eyes when I was a toddler. When I was 4 my neighbor found a stray kitten a few days before Christmas- all white with blue eyes (and completely deaf- but that's a different story!). My parents gave him to me for Christmas. He jumped up out of a box with a tartan plaid bow around his neck. He was my first kitty love! Snowball died when I was in college. The bow is very tatterd, but I tie it on my tree every year.
~Kelly

Tara Anderson said...

What a precious spider! I'm so glad I got to see a picture of him! I'd never heard the story, but it sounds cool...I may have to do a Google search!

Football & Fried Rice said...

He is so adorable :) When I first read "tinsel" - i thought you were going to put tinsel on your Christmas Tree - don't you remember that from when we were kids? Makes me wonder how my Mom had the patience to clean it up!! My kids would love to make a tinsel spider ;)

I love going through my ornaments, pulling each one out, only once a year & recounting their stories!

TanyaLea said...

Don't ya just love the Scarlet Threads aprons?! We received our Savannah one last week, and it is ADORABLE! Like you, I thought it was very beautifully pressed and packaged...a very 'high-end' sort of touch!! Perfect for gift giving. I am going to have Breanna model it for me and I'll post a photo, too. It looked so pretty on her, and I'm planning to order a matching one for Khloe when the kids sizes are out! My girls gotta match!! :)

LOVE that you are in this photo... the perfect model, indeed!

Hugs,
Tanya

The family

The family