Thursday, January 21, 2010

Daisy Comes Home--Children's Story About China


Since I'm on the topic of My Favorite Finds, I need to mention this book that Nolan got me for Christmas. He has such good taste for a one year old!--(wink wink) It's called Daisy Comes Home by Jan Brett. She is an incredible artist and I'm a big fan already of her work and watercolor illustrations. This book was inspired by her DIL, Jun, who is from China and the trip the family all took there several years ago. Apparently the book has been out for awhile, published in 2003. I just happened upon it at the school book fair at our local school and it CALLED to me! (It was one of those days that I really needed that too which makes it even more special of a find!)

Jan Brett's style is filled with detail which can be seen in the trees with hidden figures and the details in the sidebar illustrations that tell more of the story and even foreshadow what will be happening on the next page! I'm curious if anyone who has been to China finds this book as cool as I do? I gotta believe that since Jan has such heart ties to China and drew from her own personal travels there that the illustrations depict rural life pretty well.

I also found this neat Homeschool lesson that ties it in with about every subject and also the a Bible verse! Check it out. AND here's a neat writing lesson as well found here. I wish I would have purchased 2 copies so I would have them on hand for gifts. If I had, I'd send you one ... unfortunately though I'll just send you this post and hope you will Check it out and enjoy it for yourself!
I got my paperback copy from Scholastic for $5 ... Amazon has it for a wee bit more. Well worth it though if you or your children have a passion for China and or enjoy SUPER illustration.

4 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I've been eyeing that book at the last couple of book fairs...I think it's coming home with me next time!!!

TanyaLea said...

I've not seen that book yet, so thanks for another great tip! I need to make a shopping list just from your suggestions. I already tracked down a store in my hometown that sells the toys from yesterday's post, and I will be stopping in next time I am 'home' to visit family.

Thanks Val!! I almost think you should be getting paid for all these great reviews! ;)

Hugs,
Tanya

The Sanders Family said...

Wow, this is what I'm talking about. You always seem to find the neatest toys AND books! Looks so cool :)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

How neat! I use several of Jan Brett's books in my teaching lessons, but I'm not familiar with that one at all. We have a book fair comming up- I'll wait and see if I can find the $5 version.
I'm so glad you (er, Nolan), found it at a time that perked you up!

The family

The family