Monday, March 1, 2010

Flat Stanley


Have you ever heard of the Flat Stanley books by Jeff Brown? I know I've heard the name but I've never read them ... but while we were at a hockey tournament this weekend, one of my son Brayden's friends had a "flat-Stanley" of himself (ie: a "Flat-Caiden" since his name is Caiden) that he had made and colored to be like himself. He was taking photos of him at the pool, the hot tub, at the hockey tournament etc. Apparently "Flat Caiden" had just spent 2 weeks with Caiden's grandma & grandpa in Northern Minnesota, visiting the iron ore mines, snowmobiling, ice skating etc. after being mailed to them and they were reunited poolside when they all met up for the hockey tournament. After looking more into this there are tons of Flat Stanley adventure books out there! Who knew?!

SO ... I was thinking that we might make a Flat Brayden, Easton and Nolan with the boys and have them send them on an adventure of their own. If anyone would be interested in receiving these flat boys and taking a digital photo of them to send back of their adventures while on the road, let me know. I just thought this was such a COOL idea to teach kids about taking adventures, different places in the world/U.S., the mail system and writing letters, as well as differences that we all have (apparently Stanley used to be a regular boy who was flattened like a pancake and had to adapt to being different which actually has many strengths! One of which is being able to go through the mail on adventures.)
Leave me a comment if you'd be interested in hosting one of our flat boys for an adventure or two. We'd love to host in return as well.
If you're interested in doing this check this website out. And this one too!
For a Flat Stanley template click at the bottom of the text on the first website I listed. It will direct you to the official website and from there you can link to the free template. Very sweet. I can't wait to make ours!

6 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I don't know how much excitement they'll find with us, but your flat "boys" are welcomed here anytime! :)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

I have been sitting on Piper's class version- Oliver K Woodman- (same concept) for way too long. I need to send him on a trip. Can he come to Iowa? We'd welcome your flat boys to tour Virginia.
~Kelly

Valerie and Jeff said...

Oh Texas and Virginia here we come!
Now I need to sit down with the boys and get them as excited as I am! (I may need to send one too I'm so excited!--haha!) And we can't wait to entertain Oliver K Woodman/Flat Stanleys here in Iowa too if we would be so honored to host them! I can't wait to get started.

Valerie

Gretchen said...

Oooo Ooo I want them! Send them my way! We have LOTS to do down here in Florida!

Love you!!

Girly Girl Mommy said...

I have you address- is it OK to send Oliver your way??

Valerie and Jeff said...

Definitely send your Oliver to us!
And if anyone else would like my address, please send me an email or leave me a comment on my most recent post and I'd be happy to forward it to you. :-)

The family

The family