Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Matters of the Heart

Last Spring I searched myself deeply trying to understand why God would "waste" such good money, time, education and blessings on me and my love of art. You see, it's something that has just been a part of life since my first memory ... I LOVE to create things ... even though I don't have much time lately while raising my family. I guess that imbalance of TIME-NEED-PASSION really was eating at me and still does so often. But last year was a turning point for me. I wanted SO much to make a difference for orphans, especially those who needed medical help and I wished so deeply that I had invested my studies to become something so much more useful like a surgeon or a doctor ... someone who could actually "hands on" make a difference to children with medical needs--Even though I know deep in my heart that isn't what God created me for--I am NOT good in emergency situations, I like biology but I'm not precise enough for the medical field, it's not what keeps me up working late into the night or makes my mind busy thinking of possible new things to create. For whatever reason God made me to be an artist and a mother and it was through this realization (and I mean REALIZATION in a deeper sense that this was something that wasn't a circumstance (one that I absolutely love by the way) but a purposeful position, that I more fully appreciated that I DID have gifts that I could give and and God would use. And by doing so they could make a difference AND glorify God for His goodness ... which is so different than seeing things through the eyes of what I could do all on my own in the more direct and straightforward way of helping as a doctor.

Soul searching can be ugly and pittyful and not always the road most wanted to trudge down ... but while on my way out of the pitty forest, I came across the Love Without Boundaries Art Auction. And when I say, "Came Across," I mean, nearly at the moment I laid it at God's feet in defeat and said, "fine, what can I possibly give that would make a bean of difference!"

Funny how the whisper speaks at just the right moment.
So I was so blessed to add this to last year's art auction having JUST enough time to complete it starting at the very end of February and sewing like mad all through March!:
"Soli Deo Gloria-Wrapped In the Arms of Esther"

Which in turned helped to create a picture like this:

Along with 3 other little ones, Kathy, Dessie, Melanie (also known as Mei), Yvonne, seen in the photo above, had the surgery to heal her heart as did the other 3 and now all four children have bright futures ahead of them. See their before and after photos at www.lwbstories.com.

So here's your chance THIS year to join in and be God's hands and feet!
What talents do you have? Maybe you have a gift for shopping and have the perfect item sought out and ready to add to the auction or maybe you too have a crafty-artsy talent that you could share?
Join us for our 7th annual Born in My Heart art auction to be held April 22 - 27, 2010.

For six years running, LWB has held the annual Born In My Heart art auction on eBay to raise awareness – and funds – for children in China’s orphanages. These children need life-saving surgeries and often have no one to advocate for them. Be their voice! Send in something for the auction, bid on an item (there will be many very cool ones), spread the word to others!

There are many more children with serious needs who wait for their chance to be healed. So, in addition to heart surgeries, the 2010 auction proceeds will fund any child who requires immediate surgery or intervention to save their life.

I am working on something for this year's entry, but it's not finished yet ... I will give you a sneak peek though:
This is one block of many ... and I'm not sure if it's going to be a table runner, a wall hanging or a small quilt. (suggestions welcome.) The main colors are aqua, brown and white with colorful Asian florals in the smaller squares. I think part of the name will include Cross My Heart in honor of so many children that have crossed my heart this year AND the deeper meaning of having THE cross in your heart.


Check out the LWB website for details and ideas for submission. The deadline is April 1st.

1 Corinthians 12:14-26
14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

2 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

Have you gotten into week 6 of the Bible study yet? The one where it talks about using the gifts that God has given you for His glory and not wishing you had someone else's gift? This post sounds A LOT like it, so you peaked my curiousity! :)

Your "square" is beautiful, and I have NO doubt it will generate a good amount of money for the auction! I'm so anxious to see how it all turns out! And, I'm ready for the auction to begin so I can use my gift of shopping to help out. :) And personally, I like the idea of a table runner, but that could just be because I'm obsessed with them! I can't stand bare tables...just another one of my quirks. :)

And just from where I am personally, your line "Soul searching can be ugly and pittyful and not always the road most wanted to trudge down..." really spoke to me. Especially how God brought you through that to LWB. This whole growing thing He's got me on right now is making me feel unstable and flaky, and I'm not enjoying that as much as I probably should. It was nice to hear your testimony and know that something incredible was waiting for you when you "came out of the forest." It's just another reminder that He's working!!! :)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Valerie-
We really do have a lot in common! I could have written this post myself (just far less eloquently). Last year in particular I struggled with wondering what I should be doing with my 'gifts'. I felt that either I didn't have anything to offer (insecurity- I'm not a lawyer or doctor or professor like all my college friends), or that I was squandering my abilities by not doing what I was gifted in and enjoyed doing. In my case it's art too. I haven't thrown a pot on my wheel in seven years, or painted with my oils or created a print. I've put 'me' on the backburner of life. I've still got a lot of growing to do in this area of my life.

Wanting to do something, I contributed bows to the LWB auction last year and it was so exciting to watch the bids, knowing that my talent was helping to raise funds. I won't have time for any fine art this year (just bows again), but you have inspired me to start thinking of what I could do for 2011.

I LOVE your budding piece! I envision those rich colors as a table runner on a wood table.

And what study is Tara refrencing?? Sounds like something I should look into!

Kelly

The family

The family