Friday, March 26, 2010

What I've Been Up To:


What have I been up to? Where have I gone? (And more importantly that ISN"T ... Nolan... is it?!

Well, I've been working hard on some things for the Love Without Boundaries Art Auction that will be going live later in April. YOU TOO can donate items for this auction by April 1st. Go to LWB wesite to find out more. AND ALSO check out the art auction starting April 22th through 27th to place a bid on some wonderful items that truly will impact the life of a child now and for eternity. The proceeds from this auction provide life saving heart surgeries for orphaned children which not only repairs their little sweet hearts for this life but also makes them more eligible for adoption ... hopefully into a Christian home that will give them the keys to the next eternal life. (Doesn't that just give you goosebumps?!) Oh yes ... and well, yes that IS Nolan in the photo. Times are tough in our household of boys and the little bugger happily became my fit model. (Hilariously he immediately squatted down to check out the openness of the skirt bottom and got QUITE a chuckle thinking that mom had forgotten to do up his pants ... he quickly ran off thinking he had something up on mom.)

So ... because I have fallen in love with these twirly skirts (and they would look ridiculously NOT cute on me and I'm the only girl under this roof) I've sewn up a couple for some twirly girls somewhere. One is a 2T size and another is a fuller-more ruffly version (for max twirl) that is a 4T size.)
Nolan humored me for a brief second (obviously he did not stand too still for very long as all of these shots are a little blurry.) The material has little ladybugs and hearts on one fabric, a gorgeous rich red on another and a black fabric with Kanji (the Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese logographic writing system) on another. Oh yes and a sassy stripe too. Let me know what you think as I'm not getting too much positive feedback from my boys. (I'm sure it's mostly out of fear that I'll ask them to model next!) Hopefully I'll get some better photos for the auction along with what else I have been sewing up. And of course I will be posting about this again here. Thanks for humoring me. It was really fun to work on these! Next on my sewing table however better be a Scooby Doo blanket and pillowcase in a more boy like fashion for one of my Scooby Doo fans.
(Forgive me for putting you through this Nolan)

Here is the More Ruffled 4T style sans model:

7 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

Valerie, I absolutley LOVE those skirts!!! They are precious! And Nolan makes a good model, too. :)

Shawna&Co. said...

Oh my gosh! I don't know which picture I laughed harder at, the first one where you are grabbing his arm or the second where he looks soooo funny!! Those skirts turned out soo good. I can't wai t see them in peron ;)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

How awesome!! Just love them and Nolan modelings is too darn cute!

Just a thought... if you have the time/desire/fabric... we could create a joint set for the auction. I could embroider the "love" character on a tank top and make bows and have one of the girlies model the set? They have 21.5 inch waists and wear skirts at least 12 inches long (typically a size 5).
~kelly

Football & Fried Rice said...

I LOVE Kelly's idea!

We would also be happy to model (and mail back) anything :)

Not that Nolan isn't doing a fantastic job!

The Sanders Family said...

Oh Valerie! These are awesome! My computer is working better tonight, so I remembered you mentioning this post this morning!!! SO glad I was able to see it.

Those photos are hilarious first of all. But secondly, I never want to hear you down-talk your sewing abilities again. Take this coming from a girl with absolutely NO sewing skills...you rock!!! These are beautiful.

And if you need a model for a 3t future skirt, Chloe's your gal. She twirls with the best of them. Not that I'm sure Nolan wouldn't do an excellent job twirling, ha ha ;)

TanyaLea said...

Oh my GOODNESS!! Too funny...and CUTE! Nolan makes an, uhm, 'lovely' model!?! ;)

I'm love'in the size 2t for a special little someone! :) (You asked her size earlier, and that would be it!!)

Great job on these skirts, Valerie! As always, I LOVE your heart for helping others/orphans. And I hope to bring home something from China that I can donate to the LWB auction next year. A great cause, for sure!! I love the idea of you and Kelly partnering together...she does the MOST AMAZING BOWS ANYWHERE!!! I'm a huge fan, incase you can't tell. 80-90% of Khloe's hair accessories are courtesy of Girly Girl Bowtique!! :)

And thanks for the fabric links you sent again...I always enjoy looking at them. I'm still undecided on the backing fabric, so it's fun to see your links!

My kiddos are on spring break this week, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have online. We're trying to get some China shopping and things taken care of this week. Setting up some little play areas on the main floor for Khloe, too...as I know kids will drag it all out to where you are anyway, so we might as well dedicate some family room space for toys!! :)

(((hugs)))

Gretchen said...

I love the skirts! I wish I could sew. Ashlyn would look so cute in those skirts. She is definately a girly girl.

The family

The family