Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So Much

Wow, last week was busy! With our anniversary, my mom's birthday and Mother's Day all jam packed into Thursday, Friday, Sunday it was kinda hard to enjoy things. But maybe that's because I also have to figure in planting 65 trees, a flag football game for Brayden, a funeral AND an actual date with my husband for our anniversary too. (we almost NEVER get a sitter and go out, especially ALONE!)

I find myself having things to blog about, but never the time I need to sit down and write about them ... which I think is a common thing as I see many "Lists" surfacing on a lot of blogs lately!

So, to be "in" with the hip crowd, here's my list:

We went out to eat for our anniversary at (our) My favorite restaurant in the area.

It features "Innovative Asian Cuisine"
Of course the atmosphere, the food, the ambiance ... just was incredible. And it was wonderful to spend time with my husband and enjoy such great food. I will say though that my chopstick skills have gone down hill since last year's anniversary (yes, we went there then too!) I guess that's a good reason to practice right?! Well, unfortunately we can't afford to go out all that often AND last week marked the last Asian meal that I was allowed to cook (per my poor family's request that they are HUNGRY and need to eat!)--I can be a good cook, really ... but I am not finding success with any attempts on the Asian front. Perhaps the funniest thing was that after Brayden's football game last Saturday, we arrived home to this GREAT smell of CrockPot Mongolian Beef ... however, the family all preferred the Take n'Bake "back-up plan" pizza that I also cooked. HA!

That being said ... after our dinner out THIS Saturday, we went to Barnes n' Noble and I found this:

Jeff gave me a reprieve to try one last time ... I mean how couldn't he?! ... the pictures look really good!
(If anyone has some tips, hints or recipes they'd like to share, I'm always ready and willing to listen!)

Jeff and I also planted 65 Silver Maple and Red Oak trees earlier on the day on Saturday--in our yearly plan to reforest the world. (just kidding about the last part.) But seriously Jeff planted nearly 100 last year all.by.himself. And this year, even though the day was cold and rainy (I even had to drag out all the winter stuff I had just washed and packed away) ... all and all it went well and relatively quickly . It is so cool to know that now after 4 hours of planting and a few broken fingernails, 65 beautiful little trees are stretching out their roots in our fields and calling it HOME! Just think what it will look like in 25 years or so?!

Another thing I have been working on lately is a long time dream ... no, not adding to our family through adoption ... but
I put in a garden this year! It's taken a bit like so many things as I had to take off all of the sod from a portion of our yard with a shovel ... by hand ... but it was theraputic to have my hands in the soil, working slowly, making something that I have dreamed of and hopefully will grow something so wonderful down the road!
It started as a small 6' x 6' plot ... grew to be 6' x 8' then 8' x 12' and now will be a proud 10' x 14'! (Okay, it's nothing huge, but it's a start!) I hope it is successful and that I can keep up with the weeding and watering. I also hope to plant some flowers ... especially these that my grandma always grew in her backyard.

They were always one of my favorite while growing up living next to her because they make the most gorgeous dried flowers! Ya know, I'm starting to think with all the Asian stuff my Grandma enjoyed she must have had some sort of Asian connection ... I wish I had asked her more about that. It's just now striking me how interesting that is. Maybe it's just a coincidence with the era in which she lived ... so close to the Arts and Crafts movement ... maybe it was all seeds that were being planted long ago ... but I will definitely make a post down the road about me having to eat "chicken feet" in a bowl while visiting them at suppertime one night!!! (Yes, chicken feet, toenails still on!) ACK! ... but as far as I know she was 100% Czech.

So many other things are brewing too ...
I'm still offering to create SPONSOR BUTTONS for ANY New Day sponsors FOR FREE. (You may have seen these popping up all over?! and notice SWEET Samuel on my sidebar.) Please email me or leave me a comment on my most recent post so I'm sure to see it to let me know who you are sponsoring if you would like one. (I also got the A.O.K. thumbs-up from ND on this so what a blessing!!!!!) I think I've created 5 now ... and I know there are more people out there! Spread the word!!! I would love to do this as a way to spread the word about these children and about ND.
I will also leave you with this "teaser" I'm not sure what it is going to develop into, but I'm hoping for big things.

this has gotten WAY TOO LONG as it is and if you're still with me, THANK YOU SO much!

This is a quote I came across at BarnesNNoble on Saturday night ... I thought it was SO fitting for the day.
Blessings!

One generation plants the trees,
Another enjoys their shade.
--ancient Chinese proverb

7 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

Seriously, couldn't you just spend hours at Barnes and Noble?!? I know I could! Sounds like you've been very busy. Glad you got your garden it...ours still has a few things we need to get planted, but its way too big as it is. Hopefully we can keep the weeds in check this year! Pretty soon its Brayden's birthday! The excitement {aka to-do list} never ends :) Glad you had a wonderful anniversary dinner! Love, Angie :)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Wow, you are busy! 65 trees??? How big are we talkin' ? Sounds like a lot of work- but how neat! I'll be waiting for the Chicken feet story. We are not adventerous eaters here, downright picky actually (not Paul, but since I'm the cook it's what I eat that gets made most often).
ANd thanks for the Melody button. I've added it to my sidebar and just LOVE the picture you picked of my sweetie.
~Kelly

Tara Anderson said...

Wow! You've been busy!!! Sounds like it's all great, though! And by the way...that "teaser" of yours is going to drive me crazy! I hope you get that up and going soon! :)

Jenna said...

Valerie-

I just found your blog via New Day's blog.....I would LOVE, LOVE two blog buttons for the little ones we sponsor at New Day: Hosea and Lindsey. Can you e-mail me and let me know if there is anything I need to do? scjchardy@yahoo.com

Meanwhile, I will bookmark your blog and come back to read it when I have some time! Can't wait!

Thanks!

Jenna :)

Shannon said...

Wow! You are one busy lady!!!!! I love the idea that your grandchildren will play in the shade of your trees :)
I love our Owen button so much, it just makes me smile whenever I see it!
And the Ruffled Feathers....I think I may have an idea...I cannot wait to see what happens! Let me know if I can help at all!!!!

Rebekah said...

I love the sponsor buttons. We also sponsor Melody ( I saw her button on Girly Girl Mommy's blog) and would love to have one for our blog also.
Thanks,
Rebekah
bmw_woods@yahoo.com

Jenna said...

I'm back, have been reading along, and am so glad I found your blog! :)

Thanks for the buttons, I LOVE them.....just wish we had had one when we were sponsoring Liam. We had hoped to adopt him, but just found out a couple weeks ago he was matched with another family. Honestly, I feel like we lost a family member. It was WAY harder than I had imagined, although we still pray for him every. single. day. and we're so glad he finally has a family. i just didn't realize how sad I'd be to not get to see him grow and such.....

Thanks again for the buttons.

Jenna :)

The family

The family