Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ten Years Ago


I was driving in Cedar Rapids the other day when I caught myself saying to my 4 yr. old, "There's the cemetery where your dad and I had our wedding photos taken."

I paused, thinking about what an odd thing that is to say ... but we did ... the cemetery was right behind Christ Episcopal Church ... there were lots of trees and some flowers .. it was and is a bit odd I will admit (and if you look in the photos ... well ... there are a few flat stones that I know what they are even if nobody else does!) I wonder sometimes if God had a purpose for that little oddity. Maybe something to keep me looking ahead to a time even more perfect. But on that day and at that time it was a bit like salt in an extremely open wound. We had been planning this wedding for a year and a half ... every detail and dream ... and then 5 months before the anticipated day, my father died suddenly of a massive heart attack while playing tennis (his favorite sport.) It rocked my world to say the least. And in some ways our wedding day was the final day of my dad's funeral for our family. It was a happy day, don't get me wrong. But in unspoken ways it was hard. Hard on my mom and my siblings, hard on me and even on Jeff as he lost his own father when he was only 15 to cancer ... and now his soon-to-be father-in-law. It was unspoken, but I know we all felt it. It was that day that we had planned for so long (I was not a young bride btw, my parents had been looking forward to this for a LONG time and probably thought it'd never come!) And my dad was supposed to walk me down the aisle and give me away to Jeff. It was supposed to be a storybook day. The day every girl dreams of. But, that wasn't the plan.

Ten Years Ago today ... at three o'clock in the afternoon ... on a gorgeous Spring day, my brother walked me down the aisle. Our families were there with us as we said "I do" and became one. It was Jeff and me and God. It was a beautiful day and one that I will remember forever.
So many days have come and gone, so many memories have been written in the last 10 years and I pray for so many more yet to come. Thank you Sweetpea for every one of them! Some days are easy and fun. Some are hard and painful as we both grow. But God has matched us together to sharpen the other through sharing our strengths and weaknesses. And I Love you!

I cannot wait until we are united with our fathers again in Heaven at our Heavenly Father's wedding banquet table. It will be a celebration like no other. But in the in between time, there is so much to do. I am so glad that I am blessed to journey on this road together with you Jeff. The last 10 years have flown by and it amazes me all the blessings that have poured over us. I give thanks to God for his abundant love for us!

8 comments:

WilxFamily said...

Oh my goodness! Happy Anniversary! Isn't it amazing how much changes in 10 years?!
Yes, that banquet in Heaven will be wonderful. What a blessing to know both yours and Jeff's dads are there.

You are such a beautiful Bride!

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Thanks for the giveaway and for inviting me to your blog.

Your boys are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Tara Anderson said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Wow, the big 1-0! We had ours in August, and it was too fun! :) It looks like you had an incredible wedding, and you certainly were an absolutely gorgeous bride!!! And if I might add...you and Jeff still look the same as you did on your wedding day!

Lexilooo said...

Happy anniversary!

PS. I was just in Cedar Rapids a few weeks ago, for a wedding :)

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Wishing you and Jeff a most wonderful 10th anniversary! What a special day. You made a beautiful bride!

(I echo Tara, y'all look the same!)

Gretchen said...

Happy Anniversary!

You are a beautiful bride (then and now)!

The Sanders Family said...

How is it that you and Jeff haven't changed a bit?!? Seriously...you look the same as you did on your wedding day...beautiful!

Happy anniversary! It's crazy that we share so many of the same milestones...been married the same number of years, merely a month apart. We have two kids the same age, and yet two more sharing the same birthday! I know God does these things for a reason!

What a bittersweet day, with you both missing your fathers. But as you said, what a sweet reunion you will have in heaven some day!

Shannon said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!! What beautiful pictures...and a beautifully written post too. Hope you have celebrated big!!!!

The family

The family