Friday, July 23, 2010

The Empty Pot--Today's Skirting


What a fun week it has been unveiling these twirly-skirts! I can hardly believe it's Friday already.
Today's skirting features the first skirt I made in the "split-side-seam" series. And I instantly fell in love with it!!

There are so many reasons why of course, the fabric, the colors, the pattern, and Chloe does a beautiful job showing it's fullness and beauty. (This particular skirt is a little bit long on her but she models it with grace. And there's plenty of time to get a lot of good wear out of it!)

The fabric on the top layer reminds me of the story, "The Empty Pot." In case you don't know this story or would like a little refresher here's the scoop:

"Ping is a Chinese boy with an emerald green thumb; he can make anything grow "as if by magic." One day the Emperor announces that he needs a successor, someone who can carry on after he is gone with the ruling of the kingdom and the growing of the flowers. He gives each child one seed, and the one who grows the best flower will take over after him. Competition is fierce, and Ping is heartbroken that nothing comes up, despite his careful tending. On the day of the competition, he is the only child with an empty pot; all the others brings lush plants. But the Emperor has tricked everyone by distributing cooked seeds, unable to grow; and Ping, with his empty pot, is the only honest gardener--and the winner."--synopsis taken from Amazon.com

These beautiful Asian Pots would surely bring a prize all on their own I'm thinking! The bottom fabric layer matches in coordinating flowers set on a field of black with a subtle "fingerprint" design meandering throughout. It's reminiscent of the patterns found in a zen garden!


(And the same zen pattern is also found on the top layer but in a subtle off white tone.) The edges are smartly accented by a red-thread of piping.





If you like this or any of the other skirts/dresses that I've posted about, just email me or leave me a comment. The skirts during this "Season of Giving" this summer will have the proceeds split 3 ways, between Cost, The Rippee Fundraiser & our church's basement flood-restoration project.
At $21.00 a twirl, it is quite a sweet deal! -- (Also sweet, The Apron Dresses are $35.00)

The Asian fabrics for this skirt, like so many of the other fabrics I feature, 
is limited in quantity, when it's gone, it's gone!


P.S. Hopefully my husband will work on his Sunday School lesson tonight and I'll be able to participate in the Friday Night Sew In and hopefully I'll get lots accomplished. Want to join in? Click on the blue link to get the scoop from Homemade by Heidi. What a cool idea!

5 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

love, love, love it!! Love your heart in this season of giving!

I just re-posted about the Rippee's Fundraiser. I would love to see everything (like on the sidebar or in a new post!) Or, have you seen the Joyful Heart Auction (also posted on my blog) - I love the Auction aspect of it - is it too late to do that? I know people like to bid on things (it's our nature!) you could start all items at what you HAVE to get out of them and charge shipping too..

I don't know -just want to see more traffic over there!!

Sarah said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah and I am Ruby's momma from New Day. My family sponsors David at New Day and my parents sponsor Hannah who now lives with the Rippees. I read that you make button for blogs and I I would love one for my blog! Can you put them on a Facebook page too? Just wondering as my FB is read by more people then my blog and I would love to encourage more to sponsor this way.
Thanks so much,

Sarah

Mandi said...

I LOVE this skirt and must have one for Miss Mylee.


Can you e-mail me so we can work out all the details. Oh my gosh, I am so in love with this skirt.

Mandi

Oh, we have a new e-mail mmyag@comcast.net

Desiree' said...

Love this, do you have three? (asian print)size 2, 4 and 6~

The Raudenbush Family said...

Love it! What sizes can you make? I'd love to see more fabric choices too---though this one is DARLING!
Kelly

The family

The family