Friday, October 22, 2010

A Circle of Love


My Great Aunt Ruza was someone whom I wished I could have gotten to know better before she passed away. I think in our funky, quirky, artsy way, we would have had a lot of things in common. She was an opera singer out in Hollywood, California during the 40's, 50's and 60's.
And she was married to a book shop owner. Oh my goodness. I love books! So, put the two together artsy-music and books ... and you can quickly understand how I treasure the things that she left to me ... because they show interests that she had that I see reflected in myself ... which is bizarre since we met when I was probably about 2 years old and then only when we talked by phone occasionally on holidays or if I mailed her a cassette tape (remember those?) of me playing the piano. 
(That's me on Ruza's lap along with my sister Pam ... circa 1972)

I did spend an incredible wealth of time with her brother, my grandpa, however ... and I'm sure this is the link to the box that I treasure the most. And the little material things, yes, are just things and I do wish I had the stories to go with them. 
But I don't.
Just vague, foggy recollections of comments made here or there from Grandpa or Grandma or Dad and what they remembered about her trips or her interests. They have taken those stories with them to Heaven.
However ... that allows me to dream up the details ...
Imagining something perhaps greater than what reality might have actually given me.

This box, for instance, was something she got during her trip to China in the 1950's or early 1960's, probably well over a decade BEFORE I was even born! I absolutely heart these little Chinese Children holding hands joyfully encircling the well of treasure in the middle. And the interesting thing is ... my Aunt Ruza never had children ... in fact ... I don't think children interested her. (There's a stark difference between she and I!) But there was a part of her that was drawn to this and I'd like to believe that somehow she knew that someone special one day might find great delight in it ...


Now, I will admit, I am not giving up my little treasure box children ... they are cheerfully tucked on my shelf I view often right before bedtime ... but recently I was able to locate another one! I know! Crazy, eh?! And it will be auctioned off to the highest bidder starting Oct. 27th, 2010 at
I look at these children with linked arms and how can I not be reminded of how we all stand together and circle one another in love and encouragement.

Find treasures like this (minus the jewelry) at The Silent Auction which will be unfurled NEXT WEDNESDAY, October 27th and will run through November 19th.
Proceeds will benefit Randy & Rita Rippee's Adoption Fund.

1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a fabulous idea! I can't wait to see what God has in store this time!! Love the Rippee Family update!

The family

The family