Thursday, October 14, 2010

Overshadowed in the Ordinary

On the way out of my driveway to church last Sunday ... God met me.

No, not as a person, or a feeling ... or in something that definitely would have said it was Him to just anybody ... but I know it was.

You see, Sunday was the first day of the "Pendant Sale" for The Rippee Family's Adoption (if you made a post and got the early shopper code that is.) And I'd like to say that I'm so full of confidence that I don't worry about things like if I'm doing a great job in fundraising for The Rippees or if their fundraising goal to pay for the  adoption of their daughter will be met. And deep down really, I do have faith that funds will come through ... and I know that this goes way beyond anything I myself could try to do.
... But I do worry.

Mainly about what I am doing ... or what I'm failing to do ... or what MORE should be done ...
But it's usually when I least expect it that this doubt and fear creeps in.

This happened to be the very case on Sunday morning as I loaded the kids in the car and headed to church. Of course I was right on time (as in not yet late, but it was pretty much Sunday School TIME, as in it was starting right then, and I was still in my garage.) Thankfully our church is not far away! I had just checked my email ONE LAST TIME to make sure no one had emailed to ask for the "special code" (James 1:27) because I knew I'd be away from my computer for a good while. But there wasn't anything new ... it was quite ... silent ... 
and that's when my doubt started to swirl down low ... as I buckled the kids in their seats ... and then that doubt and fear started to leave my stomach and make my chest kinda feel tight ... as I backed out of the driveway ... and then my eyes kinda started watering in disappointment in myself and fear of failing as I drove out of our long lane ...

... and then I turned onto the road, and was met by this:
 It was not the first time I have seen this very shadow from this telephone pole. The last time was when I was trying to decide if I should sponsor a sweet little girl in  Fujian Province with a cleft lip who needed surgery to repair it. THAT is another story that I really need to share in full sometime ...
But on this Sunday, at 9AM, when I should have already arrived at church here it was again. And I know that the sun changes angles through the seasons and at certain times, yes, the sun will cause a telephone pole to have a cross shaped shadow across the road.
But not all the time ... and even when it does, I'm not always there ... or not looking.
And it was at this VERY time on Sunday, I was driving ... under it ... and it passed over me.

 And I continued down the road as another shadow passed over me ...

 And another ... it was like a Father's calming hand

 Washing over me as I drove ... and the tears started flowing ...

 Melting away the fear and doubt that He was there and knew exactly what I was worrying about.

 And like the telephone posts and this long road, the cross that overshadows EVERYTHING continues on and on and on along with the road of life as it stretches out in front of us. (click on the photo to see it larger ... that road goes on and on ... up and down some hills ... just like life's dips and mountaintops.)


I was reminded this morning by a post at ThrowingArmsOpenWide about how God meets us where we are and sometimes reassures us in very immediate and ordinary ways. In fact, so ordinary it could be easily overlooked. But what a blessing when it isn't.
I  hope you see God today in something especially ordinary.
Because He cares for you so very deeply.



*In case you were wondering ... I went back on Tuesday and took these photos ... although ... it wasn't at exactly the same time ... it was about 10-20 minutes later than when I saw it 2 days before.

15 comments:

Shawna&Co. said...

Oh my! That just gave me goosebumps. Sometimes I wonder how many times we miss God's messages to us because we are to busy to look. In this case He was making sure you didn't miss it!:)

Learning Together at Home said...

Thanks Valerie. I needed to see this today. :) I'm so glad you took the time to really notice.

Shannon said...

Oh! This brought tears! What a beautiful, beautiful reminder of the One who is over it all!
Shannon

Tara Anderson said...

It's so amazing where God meets us and how He uses the most ordinary things to teach us about Him. It's crazy that we could ever doubt him...yet in the frailty of our flesh, we do. I'm thankful for His reminders that the cross is big enough for anything! :)

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I thought you would really like this video. It is exactly what you are talking about. It is even entitled "The Wonder of the Cross".

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinKintzel#p/u/14/-79joJJOdQs

-Peggy

TanyaLea said...

I can't explain why, but this post brought me to tears. I love God's timing and creativity in how He lets us KNOW He's right there with us. His tenderness. His unfailing love. Just as He's been doing for Shannon and all of the neat Georgia signs around the country. He has brought us all together for such a time as this, to love on and support one another...and you have more than done enough, dear friend. Your faithfulness in serving continues to amaze me. God bless you, dear friend. I love ya!! <><

Tami said...

Oh, I'm crying too...this is so beautiful, so powerful, so GOD indeed! He is with us always and I love when He 'shows up' in the ordinary. When you have faith and your heart is open...you do 'see' Him so clearly.

What a blessing...and you are such a blessing to so many!!!!

Love you!
Tam

WilxFamily said...

Your post reminded me especially of "Jehovah Jireh" (God provides) I love how He chose to display what you needed exactly when you needed it....and that it was over and over again, not just once and done!

Donna said...

Oh Valerie:

What a beautiful and touching post. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

Knowing that He loves you is such a wonderful truth!

Blessings,

Donna

MJ said...

hi :) i sponsor Jenna and Zachary at New Day and was wondering if i could have a button made by you? they are so cute!

Randy and Rita Rippee said...

Oh Valerie! Hearing you say that you are concerned about not doing enough, just hurts my heart! You have been such a blessing not only to us, but to sooooo many people!! DO NOT be concerned that you aren't doing enough! It is not your burden to carry, but His! I also have to remind myself of this very thing as we go along this adoption journey. It is so easy to take this upon our own shoulders to carry. Afterall, in the natural, it looks like an impossible task! I have to keep reminding myself that it is what He has begun in us and will see it through to completion. I HAVE to trust and rely on Him. I don't know where it will come from but it is enough that HE DOES!! I cannot tell you what a blessing you have been to us! All the work you've done to help us raise funds! Believe me girl, you will have many rewards in heaven someday for the beautiful heart you have to help soooo many people!! He is saying "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" I do apolgize that it's taken me a whole week to see this post though! We've been buried in adoption paperwork,with the Forever Home girls, home-schooling and such that I've just not had much time for blogging, and especially viewing others' blogs. God bless you richly Valerie for your beautiful heart to help so many!

Randy and Rita Rippee said...

Oh Valerie! Hearing you say that you are concerned about not doing enough, just hurts my heart! You have been such a blessing not only to us, but to sooooo many people!! DO NOT be concerned that you aren't doing enough! It is not your burden to carry, but His! I also have to remind myself of this very thing as we go along this adoption journey. It is so easy to take this upon our own shoulders to carry. Afterall, in the natural, it looks like an impossible task! I have to keep reminding myself that it is what He has begun in us and will see it through to completion. I HAVE to trust and rely on Him. I don't know where it will come from but it is enough that HE DOES!! I cannot tell you what a blessing you have been to us! All the work you've done to help us raise funds! Believe me girl, you will have many rewards in heaven someday for the beautiful heart you have to help soooo many people!! He is saying "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" I do apologize that it's taken me a whole week to see this post though! We've been buried in adoption paperwork,with the Forever Home girls, home-schooling and such that I've just not had much time for blogging, and especially viewing others' blogs. God bless you richly Valerie for your beautiful heart to help so many!

Randy and Rita Rippee said...

Oh Valerie! Hearing you say that you are concerned about not doing enough, just hurts my heart! You have been such a blessing not only to us, but to sooooo many people!! DO NOT be concerned that you aren't doing enough! It is not your burden to carry, but His! I also have to remind myself of this very thing as we go along this adoption journey. It is so easy to take this upon our own shoulders to carry. Afterall, in the natural, it looks like an impossible task! I have to keep reminding myself that it is what He has begun in us and will see it through to completion. I HAVE to trust and rely on Him. I don't know where it will come from but it is enough that HE DOES!! I cannot tell you what a blessing you have been to us! All the work you've done to help us raise funds! Believe me girl, you will have many rewards in heaven someday for the beautiful heart you have to help soooo many people!! He is saying "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" I do apologize that it's taken me a whole week to see this post though! We've been buried in adoption paperwork,with the Forever Home girls, home-schooling and such that I've just not had much time for blogging, and especially viewing others' blogs. God bless you richly Valerie for your beautiful heart to help so many!

Randy and Rita Rippee said...

Sorry about the extra posts! I had a bit of trouble getting it to go through and although it kept telling me it didn't, apparently it did! Sorry guys!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Wow - sometimes we just need to be reminded that God will meet us WHERE WE ARE. He comes to US, in our brokenness and our doubt & washes over us. Oh, how He loves us.

The family

The family