Friday, March 18, 2011

Eight-Hundred Meter Dash

I'm not Irish ... in fact ... St. Patrick's Day has never been a big deal in our family. I'm part Czech and with St. Joseph's Day two days later on March 19th we kinda breezed by St. Patrick's Day in anticipation of the Kolaches to come (WAY better than potatoes or corned beef on rye in my book.)

BUT ... I do know that getting pinched by classmates for NOT wearing green is a big, uncomfortable, day long ordeal. So I reminded the boys ... and I reminded my husband (who IS Irish by the way and who also had no idea when St. Patrick's Day was exactly.) In fact I reminded my boys several times but I guess I wasn't specific enough as neither one of them had remembered to put on anything green. We of course didn't discover this until we were half way down our lane to catch the morning school bus. Ya, about right here in the driveway--it's LONG. (this shot was taken the first day of school in Sept. by the way ... it's WAY uglier right now with no leaves on the trees and just brown flat grass all around.)

SO ... I raced ... I ran ... I gave it all I had ... and booked it all the way back up the driveway to the house in order to grab any 2 green shirt items I could lay my hands on before the bus arrived which would be ANY MINUTE from when I left them. I blew by my 2-year old who was hiding in the coat closet, tossed open the drawers and found 1 old green t-shirt and a camo-long underwear shirt. Flew back again by Nolan, out the door, down the driveway (panting and sucking wind like no tomorrow) and handed off the shirts for the boys to put on at school JUST as the bus pulled up. Oh what a sight those bus kids got that morning.

Where is this story going? No, it's not to affirm that I am way out of shape and that wind-sprints at 7am in the morning are just killer. It was just the look of awe that Brayden had when he sat down on the school bus looking out the window with his green shirt in hand. He never looks out the window anymore (probably because he knows I'll wave.) His look today though was priceless! Even through my panting I caught it. He isn't one who is easily impressed, especially by his mom. But this day I made his book of great moments. And it's certainly something I will treasure in my "mom's mind's-eye camera" forever!

3 comments:

Lexilooo said...

I totally forgot to wear green yesterday...and I am 1/4 Irish!

Shawna&Co. said...

That just made me laugh soooo hard!!! I can just imagine you rushing past poor Nolan not once but twice. I love the Brayden was impressed :)

I am right there with you with the kolaches :) Did you know Tyra and I bake them for the Shellsburg Farmer's market all summer long? Just in case you need a fix. No need to wait for March 19th every year ;)

Football and Fried Rice said...

You are an AWESOME mama!! And isn't it fun when they are AWED by us!?

The family

The family