Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cubby Nolan and AWANA

How do kids grow up SO fast?
It's amazing to see Nolan standing here on the line for his first Cubby night 
at AWANA earlier last month.
It seems like just yesterday that he was still in my belly snuggly nestled under my T&T AWANA helper shirt--just a wee bump.
And now he has his very own teacher, Mrs. Trudy
and is learning his very own Bible verses.
 And he even has his very own AWANA vest. 
What a big guy!
(the band-aid is from the bummer earlier this month at the hockey arena not another one, whew!)
___________________

And speaking of AWANA and T&T (which stands for Truth & Training) ... I cannot believe that Brayden is old enough to be T&T age!! Jeff and I have helped with that age group (3-5 grade) for many years. This year the church elders decided to work a little differently with this age group and they renamed the group to FOCUS, after Hebrews 12:1-2:

... And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith ... 

In mid-August our pastor told me the plan to rework this age group's study and asked if I could design a logo for them that would incorporate the idea of the kids "fixed and focusing" on God's word now and throughout their lives ... and also be fun and something THEY would choose to wear to school ...
oh ya, and something that would be ready to print onto the shirts in less than a month, ack! 

OK, dust off those graphic design skills ... sometimes even I forget that I am a graphic designer at heart, mind and training, somewhere beneath the sewing machine, the apron, the hockey mom and the piles of laundry.
I gotta admit, I was really scared to embark on this ... I guess there are some ghosts from being laid off 8 years ago that I will be facing when I someday go back to "work" in the world. Ug. I wonder if I'll ever be a Designer again?

But whew!--God came through on this one!
Here's what we designed:
And on black shirts it is pretty striking! And from what I've heard I think the kids like it too. YAY!  :-)

3 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

You did an awesome job on the logo! Very cool for the kids, and for adults too! :) And Nolan...oh my word, I can't believe he's a cubby either!! What a BIG boy!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Cubbies!! How cute! I recognized Chloe there with him!! I cant believe they have to grow up - but what a better place to be than learning God's truth!!

TanyaLea said...

Valerie ~ your talents never cease to amaze me. God has blessed you with some mad (AMAZING) skills and I love seeing them at work! GREAT design for both kids and adults alike!!

And there's nothing better then watching your kids learn more Bible verses and grow up in Jesus! Nolan is just too cute!

Hugs,
Tanya

The family

The family