Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Freedom of JOY

I don't often shop ... seriously ... I'm the mom of 3 boys and I always have at least one in tow if not all three.
Boys do not like to shop.
At least not for what I like to shop for. Take them to a hockey shop or a sporting goods store or to S@m's on a free-sample day and I'm sure it'd be a different story.
But a gray day several weeks back I needed to finally return some Christmas items that went unused to the store before it got any later into the New Year and it seemed like it would be good to get out of the house, even if it did mean the hassle of packing a PBJ sandwich for lunch (I'm cheap) for Nolan and myself and most likely a missed nap and a stretched patience (on Nolan's part most likely! Poor boy) and just some general hassle.

I promised him that it wouldn't be a marathon trip to town like it is so many times doing as many errands as possible to conserve gas and make the most of the miles and time and if he were a pal I'd get him a little something to reward him. (simple bribery.)

When we arrived at the store, I had to walk past the little children's section to get to the returns counter and I could not help noticing all the beautiful Spring dresses for little girls.
(sigh)
I think I maybe had even said out loud under my breath, "I wish I had someone to buy a Spring dress for."

And this little voice whispered, "Why don't you? You really can't think of any little girl who might enjoy a dress? Don't think of what you DON'T have ... think of what you DO. You have the ability and freedom to bless whomever you'd like. Enjoy this freedom!"

Oh my. This "little whisper" I've felt before and it was so right. (And I'm not hearing voices folks, so don't get concerned. It's more something in the heart.) Did I need someone who had the same last name in order to buy a dress? I think not.
And I'm sharing this not to pat myself on the back, but to share what JOY it has brought me and I am waiting in such happy hope that the little one that immediately came to mind with that little voice's nudging is just as thrilled. Maybe this little post will even inspire you to enjoy your freedom in new JOY.

And dog-gone-it, I found another dress that just swelled my heart for another little one too ... and it was on SALE--Double Happiness. :-)
And Nolan did get a super-duper-reward for being so good btw. A nice LOUD ambulance toy. :-)

1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

Pink clothes always bring me joy too :)

Really, thats very sweet - someone will be super blessed!

The family

The family