Thursday, April 12, 2012

Deep Cuts and Deep Waters: Should We Really Be Surprised?

As you could probably tell from our Easter photo yesterday... the boys' hair really was at that point of needing to be cut again. Especially Brayden was starting to look like the Quaker Oats guy. Ug. The continuous saga of the hair-wars.

You may remember the before and after shots from a couple of months ago. Well, the school had SPRING photos this week ... and as I reminded Brayden, he had the choice between a fall and spring haircut for photo day ... and since he refused a trim by the fall photo day, the spring photo day WOULD show nicely trimmed hair. End of discussion.

All was well and good as they honored their word and climbed onto the clipping perch during their "Spring Break" this past week (Good Friday and the day after Easter--call it what they will, it was an Easter Break in my mind.)
Well, that was until it was Nolan's turn.
Oh yes ... this is him now (Van Gogh after his ear was cut off)
Okay, no I did NOT cut off his entire ear ...
But I DID snip it in a nasty little nip way right at the very top! 
Mortified.
That would describe most accurately how badly I feel--especially because it was at the ONE moment he wasn't dancing around like a butterfly. 
It totally should not have happened.

It's looking better, but he still reminds me that according to him,"it's still bleeding mom."
(it's not btw, but I'm sure it's still tender.)

In other news--and this should probably be TWO posts but I'm afraid that if I don't do it now it just won't get written.
I wish I could write a DEEP post on this and maybe someday it will come ... but that is doubtful as I just don't feel qualified to give DEEP posts right now. So many of you are so good at pulling in appropriate scripture and really good overviews that make sense of it all--I'm just not there in my comfortableness level to go out on that limb and try to share to that extent. But know that in my heart I savor these things ... maybe like Mary (but in a much smaller way I'm sure) I treasure these things up in my heart. So I'll just share the observations of my life I guess and let you connect the dots. 

We've had an unusually warm Spring this year. Well, this week, the temperatures have been colder overnight producing hard and killing frosts. Bummer for the blooms and leaves!

*We all knew this was coming and yet we always seem so shocked and horrified when it happens*--like it should be 75 degrees in March? NO! It shouldn't, not here in the MidWest!

Well, after running the garbage cans out to Jeff's car yesterday morning so he could drop them off at the end of the driveway on his way to work--I was still in my robe with shorts on--I came in FREEZING and just UNLOADED my deep dislike of Spring into Jeff's ear. (of course I didn't mention the fact that I was underdressed for being outside.)

Yes, I am probably the only person in the world who doesn't like Spring. It looks like it's so beautiful out and then it's freezing cold, or it's crazy-windy ... or wet and muddy and cold ... give me Summer or Fall or Winter and I'm happy as a lark ... Spring ... and I grumble. 
ANYWAY
After Jeff left for work minutes later, I sat down for my 20 minutes or so of quiet time before the boys get up to catch the bus (although they tend to get up earlier and earlier every day it seems! Today they were up before 6am! HELLO?! I'm sure this will wane by their teenage years when we want them up at the crack of dawn.)
So, back to my quiet time--I cracked open my Sarah Young devotional and the word for yesterday read:
THIS IS THE DAY THAT I HAVE MADE. Rejoice and be glad in it. Begin the day with open hands of faith, ready to receive all that I am pouring into this brief portion of your life. Be careful not to complain about anything, even the weather, since I am the Author of your circumstances. The best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank me for them. This act of faith frees you from resentment and frees me to work My ways into the situation, so that good emerges from it.  ... (Psalm 118:24 and Phil 3:13-14)

Talk about stop me in my tracks.
I am utterly ashamed at how many times I say that I am following God and trusting in Him ... and then I'm still speechless and shocked when He is literally WITH me 
right. where. I. am.   right then in my day-to-day.

And this has been happening over and over for several months in the passages I've been reading. I'll be thinking something, wrestling with things in my mind and the verses I'm reading are SO applicable to exactly where my thoughts are stuck. {the overriding theme over and over again lately is WAITING IN THE LORD and NOT GROWING WEARY} And yet every time I am amazed (sometimes ashamed as he redirects me back to his path and away from my wanderings) but always humbled that he could be talking so specifically to me.

Do I leave my hands open to receive what He is pouring out to me? As yesterday's devotional reminded me? Or do I keep them closed asking for other things and missing the blessings that He has portioned out for me TODAY. This is such a brief portion of my life it is true and I don't want to cling to it down the road in retrospect having not appreciated it in full today.
Even if it's appreciating a cold Spring day.
I love the reminder that God frees us from having resentment build in the things that we don't have or that we cannot grasp through our being thankful for the things he HAS put in our lives, even the mountains and challenges ... knowing that He is with us through it all, drawing us closer to him because of them and us focusing on the positive and in the hope that He is faithful ... and His ability to work His way through ALL things--not just the neat and tidy and good things, but also the black, ugly, yuckiness that life sometimes dishes out. And not just for His Good but for the good of those who love him--for OUR GOOD
"in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
after all--yes, even after all of what we bring to him as we wade through the mess this life sometimes is,
"He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us ..." (Eph 3:20)
For, "God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:19)

And those are pretty AWESOME thoughts!
Did I just quote some verses?
Oh my ... I hope I can swim in these "deep waters."

"I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him." --Psalm 39:7

2 comments:

The Sanders Family said...

Yes, you did just quote verses and some very awesome ones at that! Those are God's promises and He's fulfilling them in you as you allow. He IS there because your heart is open. May we all experience that sort of closeness with the Lord everyday. Afterall, He should be our best friend. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Wanting to talk and have Him 'talk' back to me, reassure me, comfort me, prod me on. And then, knowing that comes from His word everyday that I don't rush through it because I have something else pressing to move on to. Ugh! Talk about feeling unworthy. Thank God for His grace, because even when we aren't that thankful for Spring and find ourselves complaining about the mud or the cold or the rainy days where the kids are stuck inside, He's there. (Because I think I've shared with you before that Spring is also my least favorite season, so I'm right there with ya!) He's there, in the midst of us being too busy to hear Him and then finally realizing He was there all along. He's there. Thanks for this reminder, my friend. I can talk to my best friend anytime, anywhere, even in the most mundane of moments, because He's there through it all. What a promise, to never leave or foresake us as we do to Him. Hugs to you, Valerie! Thanks for sharing the awesome ways in which the Lord is being faithful in your life! Please know He is using you to touch the lives of others:)

Randy and Rita Rippee said...

Great post Valerie! Just another reminder to us all about being thankful for another day to do His work, being blessed by it all, rather than choosing to grumble and complain. It all boils down to a choice doesn't it?! An attitude of the heart, if you will. Thanks for the reminder :)

By the way, I've cut an ear once or twice myself while cutting hair and I know just how awful it makes you feel.

The family

The family