Monday, October 1, 2012

Samuel:100 Good Wishes Bai Jia Bei Quilt

It's taken a year and a half ... but I've finally finished Samuel's 100 Good Wishes Bai Jia Bei Quilt! 
What is a 100 Good Wishes Quilt?To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.

Samuel was placed on my heart the moment I first saw his photo upon his arrival at New Day. He struck my heart SO deeply just looking into his eyes, not even knowing what his special medical need might be. My heart knew his biggest need immediately without being told. 
He needed a momma. 
My heart was so deeply ... moved. It shouldn't have surprised me ... I had been praying for God to lead us to a specific child to sponsor and pray for at New Day. I just didn't expect it to be a boy or to be so overwhelmed with the sense that I needed to pray for him--deeply pray for him--as if he were a part of our immediate family. I wasn't sure what I expected really from that prayer. But I do know that God hears ... and He answers. (And it is so funny that this child's name, "Samuel," means "God Heard." Oh yes He did!
You can find past posts about this time here and here and here. (and probably elsewhere in my post history if you dig around.)

What a blessing it was to keep Samuel in our prayers and to join with others as prayer warriors over him as his forever parents were called and heard, listened and obeyed that call to step forward in faith. It still gives me goosebumps to look back over when it was hardest to pray or when illnesses and mountains arose on our own home-front and how strangely they coincided with things happening in the family being called and their journey. There is most definitely a Spiritual War going on beyond what we can see, this journey more than confirmed it for me! It also confirmed that God is in the details and that He is more than sufficient to provide for our needs.

It's not a huge quilt. (perfect for the top of a twin bed as an accent quilt or even better for a toddler bed.) But I do know that it should fit perfectly for cuddling this fall and winter and hopefully will be a keepsake for him always! Thank you to EACH of you who prayed over Samuel and for his forever family and for those who went one step further and contributed to his quilt!! All of the notes and envelopes and pages/wishes will be forwarded on to Samuel's parents for them to keep for Samuel! I am certain they will treasure each prayer that was said over their dear son, Samuel!

Samuel you are so loved! There are well over 100 good wishes for you and this is only a slice of them. Your future will be brilliant and so will your Today!

Samuel's Bai Jia Bei Quilt Front

 Back

Back Detail

Label/Back

Samuel's Quilt Dedication Label

The Four Corners: Faith, Love, Happiness and Success
Faith

Love


Happiness


Success


Patches Up Close (can you find yours?)

Quilt draped over a chair ... ready for some snuggling!

5 comments:

Beth Nagel said...

Its beautiful, Valerie. Just beautiful!! Just want you to know I think of you often and am still very much on my journey through grief. Also, I would just love a button for my blog for Hope, who I now sponsor :) Can you believe she's 2!?! Still no word on her family. Wonder what God is up to, but trust it is GREAT and filled with HOPE. Hugs xoxo

Tami said...

Valerie!!! It is so beautiful, and so very thoughtfully made.Truly a work of LOVE. I know I've said it before....but I stand in awe of your heart for others, for orphans. God does such wonderful things through you!!! So glad to be a small part of this...((((hugs))))!!

Learning Together at Home said...

What a beautiful gift! I am copying this post as well as your others. I'll be tucking them away for Samuel. He needs to know his whole God story. Thank you for your part in it, Valerie!

Lexilooo said...

This is beyond beautiful, Valerie! Now I am remembering that I never sent you a square! Next time?

E said...

What a beautiful quilt! It is obvious that so much love and thought went into it :) Blessings to you, your family and your little son, Samuel!

The family

The family